Thursday, September 18, 2008

Waiting for the Butterflies...


Yesterday we inherited two caterpillars who had already formed their cocoons. They both looked like little green leaves hanging from the top of their mason jar when we got them. This morning Sara very excitedly came in and said that "one of the cocoons had turned black and the other was still green like a leaf!". We went and looked and sure enough it had turned VERY black. I told the kids we'll have to watch it for a few days and see what happens.

Well, I came home this afternoon after picking Caleb up from school and was more than a little surprised (it kind of startled me!!) to see a huge Monarch butterfly flapping it's wings in our jar! Caleb and I took him out of the jar so he wouldn't damage the second cocoon and went and put him out in one of our little aspen trees...we sat and watched him for a while and I couldn't help but think how amazing it was to all of a sudden have a butterfly appear from seemingly nowhere! Then the rain clouds started to form and I got all worried and of course called Mom who said "You'd better make him a little house and feed him and give him something to drink!" So I very hurriedly grabbed a shoebox and some netting and made a little butterfly house. Caleb and I decided that we would keep him in his house until the kids came home and then maybe the butterfly would be ready to fly.

When the kids got home the butterfly was out of the box and at the window trying to get out! I guess he couldn't wait a minute longer! Sara and I tried a couple of different ways to get him outside...I was so worried about damaging his wings and didn't want to touch him but finally got him on my finger. We took him outside and he climbed onto Sara and...before I could get a picture of her...he flew off over to the neighbors tree. He sat there for a minute and then off he went! Just think...in a few weeks he might be on the beach in Mexico!

We are excitedly watching our second little friend and hoping that we can catch him on his way out...just in case we don't I've added a little video clip so we can all image what it might look like! Amazing!!

2 comments:

leah said...

How cool is that! It was good to see you for a minute this weekend. Hope that you had fun at the game--heard it was a sweep! love ya!

summer anderson said...

That is so much fun that you got to see that. How neat for your kids!